No, actually. I find syntax highlighting both annoying and
distracting. I hope you're not terribly surprised by my answer. :)

I would rather see something to the effect of "use strict;" (as in
perl) that can be defined  (per site/directory/namespace/SOMETHING...)
to mean "use gettext on all calls to print" than to see _() stay.