Wez Furlong wrote:

> On 11/09/01, "Egon Schmid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This dummy entry in the documentation was done by Kristian Kí¹¢í¾´opp

If you don't use the ISO 8859-1 language I have to rewrite the name
with: Kristian Koehntopp.

> > because most Windows lusers wouldn't find the real unlink() function.
> > Sure it may be anoying some Unix users, but it is very helpfull for
> > Windows users because they asked on mailing lists nearly daily, how can
> > I "delete" a file.
>
> Yeah, but the point is that despite the convention that we don't document
> aliases, we have exceptions.
> So why not document _()???

The _() alias is no function. If someone build-in gettext, he or she
should read the gettext documentation. The manual can be only a better
function reference and if every alias would have a description just like
the real functions, newbies will never find the functions to use. So let
the aliases mentioned at the pages where the real functions are
described. Look at http://php.net/mysql functions to get the point.
There are many old function names, which cannot deprecated, because this
functions are now aliases.

Out of the curiosity, there have been a function (couldn't find it yet)
which was named rtfm(). This function appears in a German book about PHP
and it was implemented as a real function and was properly documented.
If you are interested in the not so long history of the rtfm() function,
search in the PHP-DEV mailing list archive.

-Egon

PS1: I'm editing openssl to fix some prototypes, so don't touch it in
the next couple of minutes.

PS2: Sorry, will start again after an update. Please be patient until
you see my commit.