Guys,

We have a bit of a dilemma here.  As you all know, the 4.0.7 branch, on
which 4.1.0 is currently scheduled to be based on, has branched away a few
months ago.  Some people have expressed concern that releasing 4.1.0 based
on that branch is not a good idea, because there have been so many changes
in the HEAD branch, and synchronizing fixes and so on is going to be a
headache.

There are basically two options:
(a) Go with 4.1.0 based on 4.0.7 the way we originally
intended.  Pros:  It's pretty stable, tested, and pretty much ready to go
out the door with minimum extra work.  Cons:  We get a release out there
that is based on code from several months ago, which doesn't contain some
bug fixes and changes.
(b) Drop the current release branch.  Rebranch from HEAD, and release 4.1.0
based on the current CVS.  Pros:  All of the bug fixes/features go into
4.1.0, we don't release a version based on old code.  Cons:  Requires a
complete new cycle of QA, as lots of key issues changed since we
branched.  Two major examples that come to mind are the sessions code
(trans_sid) and file uploads, which were very significantly changed.

My personal opinion is that we should go on with (a), and start the release
process for 4.2.0, based on the latest CVS, immediately afterwards.  I fear
instability in the new sessions/file upload code too much, and don't want
to delay 4.1.0 for much longer.

Thies, on the other hand, supports option (b), because he's afraid of
having a new release based on several months old CVS is going to be a headache.

Your comments are quite welcome, let's try to reach consensus as soon as we
can (wishful thinking? :)

Zeev