www.php.net/~zeev/php-4.1.0RC3.tar.gz

What does 'Final RC' mean?

As discussed with php-qa guys (on IRC, you didn't miss a thread), we
decided that the current release process is problematic (surprise surprise
:).  The particular issue we diagnosed this time was that RC branches were
changing too much, and because basically each and every change requires a
new RC - the release process can linger for quite a while.  There are more
issues, but this is definitely an issue on its own.

So, we decided that there are going to be two stages for RC's:

(a) RC a-la what we had until now.  It will usually be in the range of weeks.
(b) Once we feel enough bugs have been fixed, a final RC is created.  For
this RC, only *critical show stoppers* are fixed.  That is, even bug fixes
are not MFH'd unless they're for critical bugs.  If a critical show stopper
is found, a fix should be merged to the RC branch, and a new Final RC
should be released.

So, for the developers amongst you - please do not MFH anything before
discussing it on php-dev and convincing everyone it really fixes a critical
bug.

I expect that the QA guys will phrase what I typed up about the 'Final RC'
approach into the release process description.  I apologize in advance in
case it doesn't make sense to you - it may be a stupid idea, but it may
just be me being high on this Finnish Kossu :)

Cheers,

Zeev