On Wednesday 21 November 2001 16:58, Robinson, Mike wrote:
> Sterling Hughes writes:
> >     Really, I've *never* come across a piece of code that used
> >     imagemagick.  I think it definitely does have a use, don't get
> >     me wrong, I'm just doubting that the use is widespread enough to
> >     be in PHP's cvs currently...
>
> Well it's taken several years but finally you posted
> something I don't agree with. :)

        Wow, several years, that almost seems too long :)

> So imagemagick would be less popular than, say, Ovrimos, YAZ(eesh),
> SESAM, Crédit Mutuel CyberMUT...

        no, I don't remember saying these belonged in PHP's CVS,
        they are there for a large part imho legacy reasons and laziness
        (ie, not enough bitching when they were proprosed).

> I could see imagemagick giving gd a real run for its money
> in the PHP extension popularity contest, particularly after
> it has matured and had its featureset (hint hint..) enhanced.

        I couldn't... The library its based on is somewhat ugly, furthermore,
        its slower from what I can see...  Currently its not enhanced and
        its not that important.

> Perhaps if it were added to the base code the author would be more
> inclined to enhance/update/maintain it. Just a thought anyways.

        Why?  Because its in PHP's cvs, the neatness of that grows old
        very quick :)

        -Sterling