Importing objects into the current Zend/PHP instance and then updating
them at request shutdown introduces a lot of tricky synchronization
problems, I think it's very difficult to implement reliably with Zend as
well.

IMHO a better solution would be using a remote object access mechanism.
There are several choices available today, such as Corba, SOAP or
XML-RPC (check out php4/pear/PEAR/Remote.php for an example
implementation using XML-RPC).  According to Derick, SRM can do this
today, which would probably be a lot faster than both Corba and the
XML-based protocols.

 - Stig