Edin Kadribasic wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Edin Kadribasic wrote:
> >
> > > The trouble with remote object access mechanisms is that most of them are
> > > really slow. I had great success with serializing objects and arrays into
> > > shared memory. All of that was done in PHP using sysvshm extension. Maybe
> > > some system support for that could make it even easier and hopefully
> > > even faster.
> >
> > The 'remote' accessesible objects can also be on the same server, with
> > communications trhough unix domain sockets, this shouldn't be that slow.
>
> Well, I'm aware of that :) Still, you can serialize objects to the
> database if you want to, but the performance is going to be poor. I cannot
> image XMLRPC being any faster. I did use Corba a while back, and I'm still
> recovering from the experience.

I am not claiming that neither XML-RPC, SOAP or Corba is fast, but
rather ways of solving this type of problem.

> > > The approach is not perfect. Your objects become readable to every
> > > user on the same webserver, so it would probably be impractical for ISPs
> > > to enable it.
> >
> > In SRM objects are bound to a session (if that is requested from the
> > script while creating an object).
>
> I have not tried that before. To be honest, I'm clueless as to what SRM
> is. Could you please send some pointers?

http://www.vl-srm.net/

I think SRM will be able to deliver acceptable speed.  Also, Mark
Woodward's msession extension is developing in the same direction, and
msession already has proven itself very fast (1500+ requests per second
on cheap intel hardware).

 - Stig