I can't remember every single war there has been on php-dev.. :-p
Like Jason put it, two GOOD solutions (others are just denying the fact
that someone fucked this up when it was implemented):

1. Overload it.
2. Separate die() and exit().

Zeev, are you really using exit() to output integers?
What kind of script is it? (just curious)

Maybe we should ask on php-general sometimes when we get into
discussion whether people rely on something or not? :)
Or put up some kind of voting thing on php.net which can be used
to find out what the people 'out there' think ?

--Jani