At 15:18 20/12/2001, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
>Nobody should complain about BC changes if changes are notified
>early enough and there is alternative way to do the same thing.
>IMHO. (This has been done for some features such as track vars ;)

That's a very impractical statement in my opinion...  Breaking
compatibility hurts (almost) regardless of when you announce you're going
to break it.  Users would still have to go over their code and fix it.

What I *really* fail to understand is the gain we get by modifying exit()'s
behavior, as opposed to adding a new function or adding a new $silent
argument.  Giving a WFF to several people?  Consistency with other
languages that have nothing to do with the Web environment (which is why we
got so little complaints about this over *5* years)?

I see this as very similar to the case sensitivity issue, even though this
is obviously on a much smaller scale.  It's possibly a bad decision that
was made 5 years ago, but it was made all the same.  Since it does *not*
have far-reaching negative implications, it shouldn't be changed.

Zeev