I have something that I am currently dealing with:

    Using mod_perl with apache, you can put this in a apache directive
(vhost, location, directory):
            PerlSetVar somevarname somevarval
    and that would pre-define somevarname equal to somevarval. We are trying
to move completely to php (we're 1/2 php and 1/2 perl) however, we really
need to be able to set the vars like this. I did look through the mod_php.c
and I noticed the php_value, php_flag, php_admin_value, and php_admin_flag,
but nothing for a variable.

-Joe