> I'm not sure using a libtool that MacOSX doesn't ship
> with is such a good idea.

Why Apple hasn't fixed their shipping version of libtool is beyond me, but
the plain fact of the matter is that their current libtool is useless enough
to be completely irrelevant. Since *it will never work*, why be concerned
about it?

I've added OS X framework support (in dependency_libs, at least) to libtool,
and this is basically required functionality for libtool to be useful on the
platform. Some work regarding two-level namespaces still needs to be done.

> Anyhow, I think if  -flat_namespace  was
> added to the linking portion of 4.1.x our problems would
> be solved, but I haven't dug into in and tried it...

The problem with -flat_namespace is that it's a workaround, not a fix.
Building real, two-level namespace binaries is the way to go on Mac OS X,
and I believe that the best way to ensure this will happen for PHP is to
refuse to implement stopgap measures.

I don't know what the timetable for the 4.2 release is, but my understanding
is that it's not imminent; hence we should have the time to Do This Right.

--Marko