On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, James Cox wrote:

> I ask a simple question:
>
> how many more unsubscribed hard working developers does it take before we
> realise that we need to ban certain people, and make php-dev (or it's
> brother) subscribers only, and closed subscription?

Umm while this sounds like a good idea initially, why are you trying to
make PHP a closed development project?  This maneuver will make it lots
more difficult to get any new developers in on the project, and for those
with one time questions to pose them.

A moderated list might be a feasible option, but by making a closed
subscrition system you basically end the open source project ideal.

>  - We need a place for developer discussion which is not interupted by users
> who can't read the support guidelines.

Yes this is a problem in almost every project.  You can read many lists
and find the same problem.  There is no answer to this.

>  - We need respite from certain individuals who are not helping PHP, but
> instead turning good developers away.

There are killfilies for this very reason.

>  - We need to have a list that is not full of bugs junk and cvs junk -
> something for plain developer discussion.

I disagree with this too.  While the bug notifications are annoying, they
provide at least an oppertunity to have more developers see them.  Thats
the best chance given to the project to keep the bug count down.  Be
honest, how many people write bug free code, or more specifically test on
platforms other than their primary development choice?  Not many.

A big -1 on this suggestion.