ID:               15110
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux
 PHP Version:      4.1.1
 New Comment:

What is the big problem here exactly? I fail to understand why this is
important for you.

Derick

Ah well, since I'm the only one complaining I guess no one will do
anything about it. For me it's back to 4.0 because I really used the
previous way it worked. =/

/Fabbe

This is due to implementation difference by nature. "files" save
handler creates session file when _open_ is called. In contrust,
database storage with "user" save handler, there is not need to create
session record when open or read is called. If session is started by
there is no data to save, _write_ is not called for both user and files
handler, but there will be empty sesson data file since it's already
created.

I think this behavior is reasonable. If user don't like certain save
handler behavior, user should use other or implement one by themself.

For example, "session_pgsql" save handler does not even use
"gc_probability" for performance reason. It performs GC with specified
time interval. It also does not return session data when data is
expired.

I mean all save handlers does not work exactly the same way ;)

=7

Well, it still stores the session-keys as files when they´re empty,
just not when I want it in a table. I use this to differ my sites
sessions from other sites on the server and I when I had all
sessions(empty or not) in a table I used it for "right" now stats. Now
I get empty session as files with the session key as name and the
sessions with data in my table. This makes it impossible for me to
count how many sessions belong to my site because I'm not the only one
using the server. So WHY are empty sessions stored as files and full
sessions as files when I store them as files BUT when I store the
sessions in a table I get the empty ones in files, along with the other
sites', and the sessions with variables which belong to my site, turn
up in the table as they're supposed to. I WANT all the sessions in ONE
place... =( *going back to 4.0...*

I would say it's a design. As you said, it does not make any sense
store session does not have any value.

I make this report to documentation problem, since this behavior is
better to be documented.

Do any of the PHP developers know if this is intended behavior? It
sounds like something that might have been "improved" since sessions
were first introduced, so the unnecessary overhead of storing session
information with no associated data was removed. It sounds like a good
idea to me (the current implementation).

Anyway, this bug is still listed as feedback and needs to either be
closed or reopened.

    http://bugs.php.net/15110

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=15110&edit=1