I completely understand your point. Some people feel they need those extra
10% for production machines.
But are you actually planning on running Apache 2 on a heavily loaded
production machine? If yes, I think it might still be a bit early to
abandon 1.3.x. If no and you just want to mess around with it and test it,
then you can use apxs for a while ;)

Andi