As long as the config.m4's use PHP_ADD_LIBRARY_WITH_PATH()
    and the other macros and don't touch LIBS themselves,
    there won't be any /usr/lib entries in it.

    So, I'd check the .la files. There's propably libpspell.la
    which has -L/usr/lib defined in 'dependency_libs='.

    And then you can complain to the libtool folks about this. :)
    Easiest way to fix/test this is to just move all the .la files
    from /usr/lib to some other place.

    --Jani