--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hey,
>
> why not simply use the mcrypt functions available in PHP?

I will tell you why.  Mcrypt is nearly useless for developers like
myself who develop PHP applications for both *NIX and win32
platforms.  The mcrypt libraries are not distributed with the Windows
binaries package and I have tried to build them myself only to find
that you need Cygwin, which is an unacceptable dependency.

I have been looking for months for a standard method to perform
encryption with PHP and have only found php_blowfish
(http://www.brisse.dk/linux/phpext/blowfish.htm) as a reasonable
alternative that runs on both *NIX and win32 without many problems.
Unfortunately this module is not distributed with PHP so I am nervous
basing my software on it.

I require two way encryption so that I can store passwords in a
database to prevent unscrupulous database administrators from
stealing them so it is extremely important to my business.

If anyone has any input on this issue I would be delighted to hear
it.

Warm regards,

Brent