Hello,

The attached diffs and two new files (they should be in Zend/) are the
one suggestion for i18n (== internationalization) of PHP 4.

This patch enables PHP to:

- parse scripts written in encoding called Shift JIS.
  (and have potential to handle other encodings, like BIG-5, UCS-4, etc.)
- add a "mbstring.script_encoding" directive to php.ini, which tells
  encoding-scheme of the scripts to PHP.
- convert encoding-scheme of PHP scripts to the encoding defined using
  "mbstring.internal_encoding" directive in php.ini.

I know most of you (esp. who are using single byte encoding scheme
everyday) are nothing to do with these features, and feel these features
completely unnecessary. But let me tell you followings:

- this patch can't do *any* harm without a '--enable-zend-multibyte'
  option (almost all of changes are #ifdef-ed).
- this patch has already presented and evaluated in japan, and well
  appreciated.
- again, those features make japanese (and the people who use
  multibyte-encoding) happy.

I hope that you feel this patch acceptable:)

Regards,

Masaki Fujimoto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>