Well, as far as I understand it, simply reading an LZW compressed GIF
would not violate the license.  It is software that creates LZW-compressed
GIF files that need to pay up.  So, we could still support GIF and
manipulate LZW-compressed files, but once we read it in and manipulate it,
we would not be able to write out an LZW-compressed GIF.  That means the
GIF files created by PHP-GD would be much larger.

-Rasmus