At 04:41 27/04/2002, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
><note>
>  <para>
>   Use of short tags is strongly discouraged. It is disabled by default
>   from PHP 4.3.0. Short tags are not only non-portable, but also non-XML
>   compliant.
>  </para>
></note>

I object.  I don't see an overwhelming reason to disable short tags by
default, it can lead to a huge security risk, and I don't think anything
really changed since the first time the decision was made to have it on by
default...
People who write portable code (which are the minority of PHP users, by
far) should be informed that they shouldn't be using short tags...

Zeev