On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 03:54:34PM +0200, Christian Stocker wrote:
> > $doc = new DomDocument("some.file", true);
> > $ele = new DocElement("name");
> > $doc->append_child($ele);
>
> as i said before, this is not according to the DOM-Standard, so i would
> rather prefer not to include this kind of behaviour, but i'd like to hear
> other opinions about that....

wrt. to using the new operator to create "orphaned" nodes, i dont care.
one might argue, that it makes the thing more consistent, but we've
already had a lot of fun with discussions about consistency before :)

wrt. to creating nodes without using a document's factory let me point
out the following.

with the current api i can already create a node this way:
  $n = domxml_node('root');
and i've always found that very appealing; what was (is?) missing ar the
functions to create all other types of nodes this way...

i want to be able to assemble the xml pieces (docs, nodes, trees) the
way i like it and in the order i find appropriate. i dont need a
document to have some node flying around in memory, as the dom-spec
tries to tell me. i find it convenient that i can happily assemble a
whole subtree inside a function, return that subtree and have the caller
do whatever it wants with it (attach it, modify it, delete it).

regards,
  -lukas