So then can I safely assume that the functions arent really depreciated then?

If the functions were to be depreciated there really isn't a replacement for
them implemented yet. As far as the set_node_value, I had just mentioned that
as according to the docs the functions were being depreciated due to being
non-compliant. If that was/is the case, then there would be the need for this
to at least be able to set the content on text, cdata, comment, etc.. nodes.

Rob