> >> I'd really like stuff like this to build out of the box in PHP.
> >> Bundling expat was great because we didn't have to think about it
> >> anymore.  My impression is that libxml2 is rarely installed by default
> >> (GNOME still uses 1.8 for instance).  But I guess we'll have to deal
> >> with that sooner or later anyway, since libxml2 looks like the best xml
> >> library out there and more extensions want to use it.
> >>
> >> Could we bundle libxml2, or does the LGPL prevent us from doing that?
> >
> > I don't know about the LGPL but i would love to see it bundled. This would
> >also help the domxml extension cause it requires a newer version than most
> >people have.
>

> The easiest thing is to contact the author and ask him for permission. Then
> you don't have to worry about licenses. We did the same thing with other
> code which was included.

libxml and libxslt are both under the MIT license, which are probably
the "freest" of the opensource licenses...  I think that they should be
the bundled default *instead of* expat (not in addition to, things just
get too messy :)  I put some thoughts up (relating to this) a bit ago:
http://bumblebury.com/phptodo/xmsl.html...

-Sterling