Guys,

Unless somebody strongly objects, I suggest we drop the discussion about
how horrible it would be to import libxml2 into our CVS.  I believe it's
well established that it's a Bad Thing to do, there's no point hashing it.

I believe the question on the table is whether libxml2 is important enough
from an end-user's point of view to be built into PHP.  If we decide that
the answer to that is positive, then there's a fairly easy way of doing
that.  My personal opinion is that XML today is as basic and important as
ASCII, so bundling libxml makes good sense.

I believe that bundling at the makedist level makes the most sense, because:
(a) Synchronization is trivial
(b) We get to choose what libxml we use, so our libxml-dependent code
doesn't have to support the zillion different libxml's out there (the
moving target argument, in my opinion, is a good reason for us to bundle a
stable version of libxml rather than support all versions out there)

We need to address the symbol clash issue, and that's about it.

Zeev