On June 3, 2002 01:47 pm, Ivan Ristic wrote:
> > PHP is for the most part written by volunteers who contribute
>
> code/extensions
>
> > which are based on their needs or were solutions to the problems they've
>
> come
>
> > across when working with PHP. You cannot tell those people what to do,
> > certainly the PHP Core Developers can reject the patch, but that's about
>
> it.
>
>   If people want to become a part of a larger entity then they must
>   give up some of their individuality. This is happening already
>   but only for low level issues (e.g. case sensitivity). I am arguing to
>   do the same for other important aspects of the PHP technology.

Ultimately it is the job of the Core Developers to accept or decline patches,
as the end user you of course can choose to compile or not compile a module
you dislike. If you are diluding yourself into thinking that people will
voluntarily code what they are 'told' to code, they'll do what they like/need
or not do it at all.
At least from my personal experience all the work I've done involving PHP
source came from having a certain need PHP could not adequantly fulfill in my
mind. To that effect I've added additional code, some of which was accepted
into the main tree and some of it had not. That is how Open Source
development goes, this is a not a commercial venture where the programmers
get payed to accomplish a certain goal set by the company.

Ilia