That's fine, but that is not what Jani was talking about.  And I am
curious, what do all the developers who have no interest (or no
experience) with one particular topic like this do in those 3 months?

I think people want to apply traditional software development
methodologies to open source development.  Jani wants a dictator who will
set the rules and tell people what to work on.  Others want refined
roadmaps, release schedules, etc.  I think you are missing as key concept
here.  People volunteer their time and effort to work on things that
personally interest them.  If someone comes along wanting to work on X he
does not want somebody telling him to go work on Y instead and have it
done by Friday.  That is simply not how volunteer-driven collaborative
software development works.

The challenge as a project grows is how to keep people interested and
contributing while still keeping some sort of direction in mind. The
bigger things get, the less laser-like this direction can be. It has long
since become a wide-beam flash light. We'd like to try to avoid it shining
off into all directions at once and at least direct the light somewhat
towards one direction, but I don't think it is realistic to expect more
than that.  The single-developer laser-like direction just won't happen.

Writing roadmaps is fine, but unless you find developers willing to
enthusiastically put their names on each bullet point of the roadmap, it
means nothing.

-Rasmus