On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:05:16AM -0700, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> >   A user posted [1] a "benchmark" today in the German PHP Newsgroup [2]
> >   stating that Apache 2.0 and PHP (current HEAD) are about 20% slower
> >   than Apache 1.3.
> >
> >   Are there any official benchmarks out there? I can't quite believe
> >   this...
>
> It doesn't really surprise me.  The bucket brigade stuff adds overhead as
> does the thread stuff in PHP.  There is nothing inherently faster about
> threaded apps.  They tend to scale a little bit better in most cases, so
> under extreme load performance should be better.  But under light loads I
> would expect a non-threaded Apache+PHP to be quicker.

Right, so I'd expect (hope) that at low load the performance is
still reasonably fast, but at high concurrency and high load it still
performs. Another thing that is gained in the new Apache 2.0 multithreaded
architecture is memory conservation -- I've run a 500-thread system on
under 20MB resident memory. Under Apache 1.3 that would require
hundreds of MB of memory.

-aaron