> Hi,
>
> I have promised myself to not get into this discussion for a week now,
> but the smell of dead horse overwhelmed me, so here goes...

heh.

> class foo aggregates bar {
> }

I think that is a nice solution.

> 2. "Optional" strong typing
>
> When people say that being able to do
>
>   function Bar(MyClass $foo) { ... }
>
> will not affect performance, is this based on pure wishful thinking or
> real insight in the engine?  I can't see how this would not have a
> performance impact.  I think type hints are a good idea, as long as they
> are implemented with "low impact".

All of my arguments for this are qualified by that. If there is a
significant performance impact it should not be done. If there is not, it
should.

> 3. Case sensitivity
>
> This horse is already decomposing.  When you can get the "originally
> cased" name of a symbol from the engine, there are no technical reasons
> for introducing case sensitivity to PHP, only aesthetic and
> scratchmyitchic.  But alas, we try keeping to technical reasons.

I gave this one up. In theory I would like it, in practice I don't actually
care that much :)

I would still like Private methods, and real MI.

Anyway all, I think the "middle ground" is what everyone really wants: more
features, but not blindly: we don't want to screw up BC, we don't want to
change the engine hugely... where there are advantages to be had, let's take
'em... if there's a good justification against let's accept that and move
on.

_a