At 17:12 29-7-2002, Thomas Seifert wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:59:31 +0200 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastian Nohn) wrote:
>
> > We were running 4.0.4pl1 for more than one year, then we needed some new
> > features and installed 4.1.2, 4.2.0, 4.2.1. No! We did'nt want to install
> > 4.2.0 or 4.2.1 bescause we liked to, or we needed any new feature or our
> > sysadmin wanted to install this, we simple wanted to get a running
> > enviroment. It was pure hell and it is still! These releases were'nt even
> > able to do the most simple things like sorting arrays, creating files &
> > directorys, diff'ing arrays and so on.
>
>I have used all these versions in production and didn't have any problems
>in the
>parts you are talking about.

He's definetely not alone in this area. For obvious reasons (more people
developing on
and testing) linux support is mostly sufficient. Other - especially the
more obscure
unices and non 32-bit platforms - have issues, that break simple
operations, required
for production use.

4.3 addresses a number of issues with BSD's and resolver functions, that
have been
ill-configured since 4.0 (and reported and tried patching) just to name an
example.

And with PHP really taking of the bugs come in, cause as we all know - the
real test
is production use.

>maybe you have certain circumstances which should be tested on QA?

QA is in development also :-)
Really - James Cox is working on some new and improved tools to aid QA
testing and
analyzing, but what it really needs is reports from people who are willing
to put RC
releases into production for a few hours, to see what comes up under
extreme (read
end-user abuse) circumstances.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

Webmaster IDG.nl
Melvyn Sopacua