A little update on all of this.

I changed the way that the handlers are created in the apache config from

php_value uri_handler /tmp/foo.php
phpUriHandler /tmp/foo.php

and logically separated them from the ini structure.  This eliminates
some unnecessary work that was being done before and allows for stacked
handlers more easily.  I have the stacked handler code all working
correctly, but I'm waiting on approval/disapproval of my zend_stack
patch I posted earlier before I commit (my changes assume that patch at
the moment).  A couple new things are supported as well

phpRequire /tmp/bar.php

which effectively 'require's a file before any work is done in a request
(since scope is shared throughout all stages of the request this is
available everywhere). And

phpResponseHandler /tmp/foofoo.php

Which is a very experimental AddHandler response-time handler (similair
to perl PerlHandler)

Both of these are stackable, so you can do

phpRequire /tmp/bar.php
phpRequire /tmp/bar2.php

in the same section and have them both run (same for all the handlers).

I will wait a while to see if the zend_stack changes are accepted, if
not I will just implement my own stack locally and use that instead.

George