On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Marcus Börger wrote:

> I hope we could reach a consensus to leave the following modules in the
> normal php distribution: old extensions, those maintaind by those developing
> php's core and the extensions heavily integrated into ph (like mbstring) and at
> least those extensions important extensions like gd and xml stuff.

I don't agree on the "old extensions" part, for example "yaz", "dotnet"
or "notes".

> Moving less maintained and less important modules to PECL might be a good
> idea as soon as PECL is ready to be THE distribution on any platform. Until
> that is reached PECL development or planning shouldn't harm php development.

Having exif not enabled by default doesn't harm development at all. If
people want exif, they can enable it just fine. Adding more 'bloat'
(this has nothing to do with the usefulness) to the default compilation
is not a good thing, for example we could have enabled sockets, sysvshm,
sysvsem... too by default.

Derick

 Did I help you?   http://www.derickrethans.nl/link.php?url=giftlist
 Frequent ranting: http://www.derickrethans.nl/
                 PHP: Scripting the Web - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    All your branches are belong to me!
                SRM: Script Running Machine - www.vl-srm.net