On October 16, 2002 11:46 pm, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
> We had the same discussion. I brought it up last time.
>
> There were patch for "<?xml" just like yours.
>
> The outcome was modified manual page that discourages
> use of short tag for portable script.
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php

Given the fact we are carrying this conversation again, implies the original
solution did not solve the problem, no?

> Current php.ini-dist has
> ==========but what about all the people who for whatever reason make their
PHP parse all pages, even .html ones
> ; Allow the <? tag.  Otherwise, only <?php and <script> tags are
> recognized. short_open_tag = On
> ==========
>
> Adding appropriate comment is better than adding token
> to language. i.e. compatibility between new and old PHP.

I am not saying that the proposed patch is the best solution to the problem,
there may very well be other, better solutions. However, I personally, do not
see such solutions being presented. All the solutions either involve breaking
of BC, which most people do not wish to do, or ignoring the issue and hoping
that eventually people will switch.

> The best way to go is discourage use of short tag
> whenever possible, change default few years later, IMHO.
>
> Even if we never change the default,
> <?php echo "<?xml ......?>";?> works always w/o patch.

Yes, that works, but what about all the people who for whatever reason make
their PHP parse all pages, even .html ones. On such a server if someone
places an XML (XHTML) document, won't they be surprised by the parse errors
they get. This person may not even know PHP exists and yet they would get PHP
errors. No amount of documentation will solve this sort of a problem and this
is just one example, there are more.

Ilia