On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:40:01AM +0900, Maxim Maletsky wrote:
> "Sebastian Nohn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >>5. Functions are called OCI .* I do well know what it refers to, but
> >>this is only because I learned the original oci.h API. Wouldn't itbe more
> >>standard for PHP to use similar naming as mySQL, pgSQL, MSSQL extensions
> >>ect? OCI make it a bit confusing, I always heard from my co-workers.
> >>Besides, this can also be a great input for newer Oracle's updates.
> >
> >This is mainly because there are Oracle-funktions and OCI-functions (there
> >is a difference), and i like the OCI-thing very much, it's much easier and
> >faster to type than oracle ;)
>
> Well, yes, OCI* functions look pretty geek, indeed, they are very similar
> (if not identic, in some its parts) to the actual OCI API.
>
> But, this naming convention is way not optimal, is limited
> functionality-wise and, last but not least, it is far not PHP's standard
> naming convention for the database extensions.
>
> In fact, if you'll look into PHP standards specifications (look in CVS:
> http://cvs.php.net/co.php/php4/CODING_STANDARDS?login=2&r=1.23) you are
> encoraged using a certain style for calling your functions, especially
> those of databases since these mostly do the same things.
>
> What I meant was, while to access a mySQL database you use mysql_connect(),
> for PostgreSQL pg_connect() and for Sybase sybase_connect() question stays:
> why function to connect to Oracle be called OCILogon()? Wouldn't it be
> better called oracle_connect()? that is how som other programming languages
> call it.
>
> It is not an exaggeration to say that, some programmers are actually making
> their own functions named this very way so they can easier interact with
> the Oracle database using their mySQL's (or whatever) habbits because OCI
> gets them confused. I kind of followed this question within the PHP-Oracle
> developers I met.
>
> For now, we have ora_* and OCI* functions. These are, as long as I
> understand, used for Oracle v6.* and Oracle v8 (the last one is also 90%
> compatible with v9). Yet, this shouldn't mean that there is no need for a
> standarized set of functions like oracle_* with mapped/intuitive
> functionalities like most of the DBs PHP that supports AND as compatible
> between Oracle versions as possible.

    the ora_ extension uses the pre oracle8 api. if you need to
    compile with oracle7 libraries you have to use the ora_*()
    functions.

    if you have libs >= oracle8 installed use the oci*()
    functions. they will allow you to connect to oracle servers
    running from version 7 till 9 (currently). the oci8
    extension is btw 100% compatible with oracle9 - what do you
    mean by saying 90%?

> Only this way, one could firmly admit that PHP fully supports Oracle
> database.

    hmm, i really don't know what you are talking about. the PHP
    project (like all OpenSource projects i know of) does not
    formally "certify" itself for certyin 3rd party libraries and
    systems..

> Those are my ideas for the Oracle extension.
>
> At this point, some new questions arised in my head:
>
> 1. Is ora_* extension (ext/oracle) still maintained and ported
> compatibility-wise to the versions Oracle newer v6 or, for these are OCI8
> extensions? If so, then this should mean that ora_* functions are limited
> to version 6 only, if not deprecated at all. Am I correct, or missed the
> point? If I guessed, then  what was the need for OCI8 extyension at all?
> Why ora_* could not be continued? I still haven't found it out.

    read above.

> 2. What costs merging the two extensions (ora_* and OCI8) in one (oracle_*
> ?) that fully supports both 6*, 8* and 9* versions of Oracle and remains
> the only one to be used (as well as maintained, debugged) in the feature?

    that would make no sense whatsoever, oci* has all that ora*
    has, we could drop he oracle extension, but then we'd make
    all the ppls unhappy that use it. (and may depend on it: see
    above)

> 3. Still, related to question 2: Wouldn't it be safe enough, if not rather
> strategically clever to introuduce the oracle_* new functions as a new
> unified extension for Oracle in all its versions within PHP 5? Considering,
> that we are still at the planning stage of its development release?

    you mean renaming the oci8 extension - could be done... but i
    personally see no pressing reason for doing so.

> Hope to see someone to anser, commenting my thoughts on this. I am very
> much willing contributing to the PHP's Oracle support development.

    that always appreciated. wher do you want to start?
    tc