"Thies C. Arntzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

>     i don't really think it's a needed function as it won't
>     support binding of variables and setting the execute mode.

True, you cannot use it for binding variables. Only these who often do
plain queries would find it useful.

>     also, cause you "loose" the statement handle you cannot reuse
>     it. so adding ociquery will make things less optimal.

Oh yeah? I thought you don't: Statement handle is returned by OCIParse.
Now, if OCIParse is contained within OCIQuery we can still return the
Statement on success or False on failure. Just the way both functions
behave internally.

I agree that OCIQuery would not be a big feature, but could be useful. At
the end, I think some sort of *query() function for Oracle will be needed
in order to look closer to the way other DBs behave.  It might be
something like ora_do(), but ora_do() is also fetching and that is not
very optimal since one still needs to loop through fetched result set,
why doubling the loops?

Just my thoughts.

--
Maxim Maletsky