On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:24:24AM +0200, Maxim Maletsky wrote:

> any OCIParse and set the charset. This would be:
>
> 1. more flexible
> 2. would exclude non-authentication functionality with OCILogon
> 3. easier to find for a user

    adding the charset to the logon call is how "the others" do
    it.

    we could make the oracle env-handle visible to userspace, but
    that would make using the beast more complex.

    adding it to the parse state makes little sense. as this is
    not where it's done inside oracle.

> Wouldn't it be better, though? Yes, perhaps it would be a big rewrite,
> but it would definitely create an actual Oracle extension, not
> two version-specific ones. Really, it is confusing.
>
> Try imagine a similar situation:
>
> Whoever pays Oracle license is planning something big and costly. A such
> "user" would have no much trouble paying also for Java or ASP, that
> support Oracle pretty well, but, should the corp. prefer PHP, they'd
> consider this more than once.
>
> This is because they would be soon confused about how things are working
> between PHP and Oracle, what Oracle versions are supported and for how
> long...  Then, automatically (in some heads) answer arises: "Yeah, PHP
> is Open Source, it won't support well commercial third parties...".
>
> That is why I think that unifying Oracle into something that looks and
> works just as other Open Source DBs can help PHP (5?) gain better trust
> and confidence from middle-large projects worldwide.

    we are talking about a legacy, more-or-less unsupported
    version of oracle here (Oracle7 is no longer supported IIRC).
    wasting any brain cyles for that will not bring us forward.
    i'd love to see ext/oracle in PECL and slowly fade out.
    everything else is not really an option INHO.

    oci8 is the way to go -

    re,
    tc