"Thies C. Arntzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 10:26:46AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Oh, and just to be clear about it: I am absolutely positive on
> > a completely new (perhaps unified) extension for PHP 5, and
> > would gladly participate.
>
>     hmm, sure - why not. we could start to brainstoorm about that
>     and decide if we need to rewrite or just add to what's there.

Ok then, here we go and try to brainstorm the ppl here with this ideas.

>     what are your plans, what features do you want to see?

Ok, first of all, I picture a succesfull extension being called something
like this:

oracle_* ... Now, this is because ora_* already exist and we don't want
to mess with it. It doesn't really matter the actual extension name.
This "new" extension could be slight rewrite of what OCI already has,
so OCI* can be the aliases to these functions. At this point, we have
one extension that we call oracle extension and two other extensions
that serve there for compatibility purpose in PECL slowly fading out.

This extension can we closely understood as all other DB functions
within PHP.

Now, there are pluses and minuses in doing this. In my head now are:

+1: It stabilizes database compatibility for PHP

+1: It creates a one-stop resource for Oracle users (over v8)

+1: There is less efforts maintaining, things can be very transparent

+1: It will be a "change" in PHP5, gaining so the credibility of new PHP
    release for Oracle users. In a way, other languages support oracle
    better than PHP does right now, thus such change will mean the
    progress from both technological and marketing point of view. Keep
    in mind, these who use Oracle, are almost always big enterprises or
    organization

+1: Can add better chances to be added into the official and unofficial
    DB abstraction layer

+1: Easier to find, use and document. It would be more intuitive for the
    users that interact with more DB besides Oracle within PHP.

-1: Adds to confusion. For some time there will be lots of hassle why we
    have three Oracle extension. That is why, I think, new extension
    should start from PHP5. Gives us also more time

-1: Headaches with compatibility support. Some functions might not work
    the same now as the Oracle might change in the feature, but that's
    inevitable anyways and other DBs handle that too.

-1: There will be difficulties on choosing and migrating for the two
    extensions supporting same DB version. For instance, many will
    wonder "better using oracle_connect() or OCILogon?". A problem?

As of features I see:

1. the closest datatypes support as possible

2. full PLSQL support

3. simpler and less restrictive variable binding

4. better query handling. being able to retrieve results number without
   fetching the whole statement etc

5. closer interaction with the server. There are a few things that only
   Oracle does and they might be nice to have. For instance like Abdul's
   patch

6. query shortcuts like in ora: (oracle_query())? This could be a
   simple2use way for querying the DB and getting the results instantly,
   without parsing and executing. An easy thing to do

>     i have things like failover and connection pooling (for
>     threaded servers) that i'd like to see in the future.

Threaded servers? That is awesome!

--
Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]