Hi,
from http://www.zend.com/zend/week/week109.php:
TLK: sybase_ct maintainer
Timm Friebe has volunteered to take over maintenance of the sybase_ct
extension.

He has made a number of patches to the code (which can be seen here) and
has been running then under a high-load production environment for over
a month.

At this stage these fixes may still be included in the next release
candidate for 4.3.0.
I'd love to see this happen, but - since I'm new to PHP development - I
would like to make sure what I'm doing (or going to do) is right.

README.CVS-RULES > 1. Respect other people working on the project.

Last commit: 2002/03/12 - I guess there aren't too many people actively
working on ext/sybase_ct:)

README.CVS-RULES > 2. Discuss any significant changes on the list
                   before committing.

friebes:~/devel/php4/ext/sybase_ct > cvs diff php_sybase_ct.c |wc -l
    1254
friebes:~/devel/php4/ext/sybase_ct > cvs diff php_sybase_ct.h |wc -l
      79
I guess this is significant.

[...]

README.CVS-RULES > 5. If you don't know how to do something, ask first!

OK, that's simple.
* Do I commit this against head or against php_4_3_0pre2?
  (cvs com && cvs tag -F php_4_3_0pre2 or simply cvs com)?

* buildconf says: "You need bison version <= 1.30 >= 1.75 installed
  to build PHP from CVS" - I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE, bison
  from ports is 1.35_1 *and* "You need libtool version 1.4 or newer
  installed" - libtool from ports is 1.3.4_4
  Are there other people here with FreeBSD and what do you do?
  Compile your own libtool/bison?
  So far, I've stuck to snaps which worked fine for me...

* Who writes documentation?
  http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=16960 contains working examples
  of the enhancement, more would come. Do I need special docs karma
  for this?

README.CVS-RULES > 6. Test your changes before committing them.
                   We mean it. Really.

As promised, I compiled it into php-4.2.2 under FreeBSD and under Debian
on a production environment - it's served nearly 100 million HTTP
requests there by today and completed a couple of hundred thousand SQL
queries. *What* was tested is the old functionality, without relying on
new features, so that a switchback would be easily manageable in an
urgent situation. Though, since the majority of the new functionality is
handled via lines of source that are also called with the "old" api, it
should be OK.

README.CVS-RULES > [...About CVS log...]
This is what I would write:

# Add myself to authors
@- Take care of feature/changes requests by myself in (Bug #16960):
@  * Implement unbuffered queries
@  * Fix up sybase_fetch_object not to return objects with numeric
@    members
@  * Fix issues with identical fieldnames
@  * Set data types returned to their equivalents in PHP if possible
@  * Add server message handler
@  * Add a new ini setting for deadlock retries, defaulting to
@    "forever". Deadlocks within transaction can cause @@transtate
@    to output uncorrect values if they are retried.
@  * Add a new function sybase_fetch_assoc
@- Make sybase_query errors more verbose
@- Make phpinfo() output more verbose
@- Add mssql-aliases to all the new functionality

Is this too short? Or to long?

BUGS
====
There are four open bugs for ext/sybase_db. I don't use this extension
and its usage is discouraged anyway (see
http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ/ASE/section7.html#7.2).

There is one open bug for ext/sybase_ct concerning compute results and
multiple results, pointing to:

* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=11475
  This breaks functionality on further queries, producing weird
  results. If you can't handle multiple resultsets, you *must* cancel
  them!

* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=13735
  Bogus

* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=12074
  Feature request for unbuffered_query:)

* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=13475
  http://www.marden.org/php-sybase-ct/ gives me a 404
  I'll have a look at it nevertheless

TESTS
=====
As I can only test my development on FreeBSD (4.3, 4.7) and FreeTDS
(0.60) w/ Sybase (11.0.3.3/Unix, 12.5/Linux, 12.5.0.1/Sun) and Debian w/
native Sybase-libraries Sybase (12.5/Linux, 12.5.0.1/Sun), I'd be happy
about any feedback on other systems and constellations.

Whew, I hope I'm not forgetting anything?

--
Timm
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature