On 29 Oct 2002, Timm Friebe wrote:

>* Do I commit this against head or against php_4_3_0pre2?
>  (cvs com && cvs tag -F php_4_3_0pre2 or simply cvs com)?

    HEAD.

>* buildconf says: "You need bison version <= 1.30 >= 1.75 installed
>  to build PHP from CVS" - I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE, bison
>  from ports is 1.35_1 *and* "You need libtool version 1.4 or newer

    Those are the requirements. Not our problem to solve those for
    you, do as you feel best. Compiling from sources sounds like
    a good idea. (for bison, use 1.28 version)

>README.CVS-RULES > 6. Test your changes before committing them.
>                   We mean it. Really.
>
>As promised, I compiled it into php-4.2.2 under FreeBSD and under Debian

    That means that you test that your changes to CVS HEAD
    work before you commit them to CVS _HEAD_ not some old release.

>README.CVS-RULES > [...About CVS log...]
>This is what I would write:

    I should rewrite that thing..

># Add myself to authors

    # is not needed here.

>@- Take care of feature/changes requests by myself in (Bug #16960):
>@  * Implement unbuffered queries
>@  * Fix up sybase_fetch_object not to return objects with numeric
>@    members
>@  * Fix issues with identical fieldnames
>@  * Set data types returned to their equivalents in PHP if possible
>@  * Add server message handler
>@  * Add a new ini setting for deadlock retries, defaulting to
>@    "forever". Deadlocks within transaction can cause @@transtate
>@    to output uncorrect values if they are retried.
>@  * Add a new function sybase_fetch_assoc

    Please READ the NEWS file in HEAD and compare it to this.
    Does any entry in it look like this?

    Added, Fixed, Removed, Made. (past tense!)

    (Take care? Huh?)

>@- Make sybase_query errors more verbose
>@- Make phpinfo() output more verbose
>@- Add mssql-aliases to all the new functionality
>
>Is this too short? Or to long?

    Both. Read the NEWS file entries for 4.3.0 carefully.
    Every entry needs to have your name behind it:

    - Made sybase_query() error messages more verbose. (Timm)

    Notice the ()'s? And be verbose but not too verbose in
    these NEWS entries too.

>There are four open bugs for ext/sybase_db. I don't use this extension
>and its usage is discouraged anyway (see
>http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ/ASE/section7.html#7.2).

    Move it to PECL then.

>There is one open bug for ext/sybase_ct concerning compute results and
>multiple results, pointing to:
>
>* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=11475
>  This breaks functionality on further queries, producing weird
>  results. If you can't handle multiple resultsets, you *must* cancel
>  them!
>
>* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=13735
>  Bogus
>
>* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=12074
>  Feature request for unbuffered_query:)
>
>* http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=13475
>  http://www.marden.org/php-sybase-ct/ gives me a 404
>  I'll have a look at it nevertheless

    Bogus -> Mark it as such and be done with it.
    Feature request -> change the category to "Feature/Change Request"

    Try always first to get them to test the latest snapshot.
    (Use the quick-resolve select box, or the urls in the mails on php-bugs list)

>As I can only test my development on FreeBSD (4.3, 4.7) and FreeTDS
>(0.60) w/ Sybase (11.0.3.3/Unix, 12.5/Linux, 12.5.0.1/Sun) and Debian w/
>native Sybase-libraries Sybase (12.5/Linux, 12.5.0.1/Sun), I'd be happy
>about any feedback on other systems and constellations.

    We use users for testing. See above comment about snapshots..

    --Jani