I did more work and testing with fastcgi and apache 2, and have php 4.3 running under apache 2. Since it's out of process, no multithread issues which are one of the major issues. I didn't write docs, but there are some in sapi/cgi/README.fastcgi

Shane

As far as I can see, we should not not put into the PHP documentation that
Apache 2 is not production ready, but PHP is not production ready for
Apache 2. This is of course shows us in a negative manner, but we need to
make our users be aware of the fact that PHP should not be used for
production in Apache 2 (as long as this is the case).

Goba