> I do not like MySQL due to its simplicity and lack of relations. But i
must
> disagree to PHP/Postgres. Postgres IS very stable and fast. Another very
> important
> thing is that any security problem found in postgres is fixed very soon.
On the
> otherhand there is Microsoft and we have seen in the past that there are a
> lot of
> problems and that it takes some time to get them fixed by MS. Last but not
> least
> i d not like MS products for large server applications for several
reasons.

Unfortunately, the place where I work is not comfortable with using open
source databases,  and SQL Server as been in place for many years and the
GUI makes it easier for many people to administer.  While it may be
unfounded,  the majority of the commercial and government world do not
appear to be receptive to the use of MySQL and PostgreSQL for "serious"
applications.  And M$ is applying enough political pressure to keep it that
way.  Microsoft is a very big gorilla, and has a reputation for beating
superior products with it's sometimes inferior equivalents.

> >* UNICODE data is processed using UTF-8 encoding (important since PHP
> >strings are not UNICODE)
>
> did you use mbstring and internal encoding set to utf-8 or ucs-whatever?

No, unicode data is coverted to and from UTF-8 on the server-side.  The
ODBTP protocol sends and receives all  unicode data in the UTF-8 format.

> Sounds interesting to me :-)
>
> There is no problem with adding this as a new extension in pecl since all
new
> extensions should be created there. Maybe it is even worth to discuss this
> belonging to /ext but i doubt. Just ask for approriate CVS account.
>
> However, where can one download ODBTP or will be part of the extension
> build?

I have to generate some documentation on how to install and use it.  I was
only willing to take the time to do this if there was a need for something
like ODBTP by other people.

-- bob