At 11:22 26.11.2002, Maxim Maletsky wrote:

"Ilia A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

> On November 25, 2002 09:22 pm, Maxim Maletsky wrote:
> > >
> > > Meaning that you will be applying the locale logic in real time? Have you
> > > considered what kind of performance degradation this will entail?
> >
> > Of course it will. But, this is an option, so one can localize them if
> > wishes. Like in cases when you want English while your co-workers use
> > another language and you cannot change the main php settings
> >

> If my co-workers and I cannot communicate in the same language we will
> probably go our separate ways within a week. Afterall, how can we work
> together if we don't have a common language between us.
> By the way, could you please advise by how much I will need to increase the
> power of my server(s) to maintain the same level of performance?

nah... not really. I, at work, have my OS, keyboard and everything else
set in en-us, while everyone else in Italian. Of course - this is the
Ministry of Economy and Finance of Italy :)

This is not the point yet. A team sets the language in php.ini, who
needs it different can alter it.

> > XML is what I think would be the best for the whole thing of managing
> > errors. It could be integrated into the docs, parallelly translated into
> > multiple language, adding extra flexibility and features growth. This
> > can be also useful for modifying errors for users themselves if they
> > wish to.
> >

> It would probably flexible solution, but terribly complex.

Why? Having to only pass numbers in error and one XML file to edit is
not *that* complex. Whole PHP internals is complex itself, if for that.

> Let's consider the
> process, a developer decides to add sanity check with a warning. They write
> the code and now need to modify an XML file with an error message, reference
> the XML entry from their code. Commit all this to CVS and hope they did not
> messup.

Yup.

> Also, how and when XML parsing will be merged inserted into C code? Won't you
> be adding an XML parser decency to PHP?

This is something to have discussed. I am definitely not the best guy to
know what is better for this case. My only point is this:

ERROR STRINGS **OUT** OF THE C CODE!
-MAX_LONG on this. I assume none of the php-dev coders will loose
connection between the error message and the source where the error
happens. And why if you would do as i wrote before no one forbids
you to even overwrite the english error message. And for me it is a
requirement before accepting i18n error messages that you can still
have error message in english text without any external data file.

marcus

Then, whether we use XML or not is another topic.

--
Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]