You can perhaps try to use it the other way around, have PHP
  run inside a Java VM. You can also try to get the source code
how would this work? can you send me pointers?
  There is a servlet which accepts requests and uses native
  code from libphp4.so to execute them. At the same time,
  the Java extension is used to provide access to Java
  objects from PHP itself.

  Everything you need is in the PHP source, go to
  folders /sapi/servlet and /ext/java for instructions.

  Actually, get the fresh source from CVS, it will work better.

  Last time I tried this it worked, but barely (on Linux with
  JDK 1.4). I plan to try it again today since new patches have
  been added in the meantime.

Bye,
Ivan