It won't be different in ZE2.  This is not a bug though, but a tricky
design issue.  The problem is figuring out at runtime when to set $this
or not in a method.  What most people would probably find intuitive, is
that $this was set only in methods called in the object, but this would
require pretty expensive checks for every method call.

Andi can shed more light on this if needed.

 - Stig