What version of php did you try this with Brian? There were some lexer changes implemented (that I believe are only in HEAD for ZE1 and ZE2 and not in 4.3) that should equalize this difference. There was a thread about this on php-dev not long ago that explains why this occurs - search the archives for ZEND_ADD_STRING.

George

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 11:35 AM, Andrey Hristov wrote:

See this :
http://phpxpath.sourceforge.net/benchmark/phpBench.php

And show it to the guy.

Andrey

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Moon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: [PHP-DEV] Single quotes VS. Double quotes

This is of really low importance, but I found it interesting. A new guy
on
the Phorum dev team decided to convert all double quotes to single quotes
for "speed" in CVS. The common assumption is that single quotes are
faster
than double quotes. However, I am of the mind set of using double always
as
it creates less headaches later to add a variable to the string. In an
attempt to show him the marginal savings of this, I did some benchmarks.
The results were confusing.

$var="This is test number $x"; was really slow.

but,

$var="This is test number ".$x;

and

$var='This is test number '.$x;

we basically identical.

Andi, Zeev, if you want waste some energy on exanding on why this is and
if
anything in ZE2 will change it I would find it a good read.

Brian Moon
dealnews.com