"Brian Moon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

> This is of really low importance, but I found it interesting.  A new guy on
> the Phorum dev team decided to convert all double quotes to single quotes
> for "speed" in CVS.  The common assumption is that single quotes are faster
> than double quotes.  However, I am of the mind set of using double always as
> it creates less headaches later to add a variable to the string.  In an
> attempt to show him the marginal savings of this, I did some benchmarks.
> The results were confusing.
>
> $var="This is test number $x"; was really slow.
>
> but,
>
> $var="This is test number ".$x;
>
> and
>
> $var='This is test number '.$x;
>
> we basically identical.
>
> Andi, Zeev, if you want waste some energy on exanding on why this is and if
> anything in ZE2 will change it I would find it a good read.

Actually, I've benchmarked this long time ago on v4.0.x and my results
were completely meaningless.

Don't remember right now, but I guess I ended up believing that both
parsing's (a dot in single and a variable in double) were having their
own tiny delays with minimal difference. Only non-concatenated strings were
resulting faster for some miserable particle of a millisecond with single
quotes (what, seems to be optimized/normalized in PHP v4.3.0).

Whatever the result is, even with thousands loops, the speed gained by
optimizing concatenations will generally be times less than the overall
execution of the script that uses so many strings - it's proportional.

IMHO, the only reasons to care about this are the code readability and
coding standards within a team. If that makes sense to be so much
restrictive.

--
Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]