> After having consulted with Andrei, Derick and others on irc here is
> a proposal for a compromise:
>
> On Unix:
>
> 1. Both cgi and cli are built as 'php' in their respective sapi
> directories (pretty much as it is today except that cgi gets renamed
> back from php-cgi to just php).
> 2. Make install will *not* install cli if cgi build was selected
> (only cgi gets installed).
> 3. A new install target 'install-cli' is introduced so that make
> install-cli will overwrite whatever is in $(PREFIX)/bin/php.
>
> On Windows:
>
> 1. php.exe in the root of distribution is php cgi sapi.
> 2. New cli directory is included with php.exe (cli) in it.
>
> If this is an acceptable compromise I volunteer to do the changes
> required.

This goes to show that good ideas usually win out and our system works.  I
proposed "cli/php.exe" on Windows back on December 9th, but there was a fear
it would be a support nightmare.  I take it those fears have subsided.  I'm
also glad that limb I went out on didn't break afterall.

I'd say that I fully support this proposal but I'm not sure my opinion
matters. ;)

Leon