> This goes with the PHP source approach:
> By default, "configure/make/make install" compiles the CGI interface,
> and then you have to "make install-cli" to get the CLI.
>
> We just replace the "make install-cli" by "urpmi/apt-get php-cli".

Just FYI, 'make install-cli' is not the only way to
install the CLI there, 'make install' may put it
there too.  For example:

  'make install' copies CLI to {prefix}/bin/php
  ./configure --with-apxs

  'make install' copies CGI to {prefix}/bin/php
  ./configure --enable-cli

  'make install' copies CGI to {prefix}/bin/php
  ./configure

This is because both --enable-cgi and --enable-cli
are defaults.  If one specifies a module SAPI, such
as apxs, then CLI is copied as 'php' because
--disable-cgi is implicitly called.  This manual
entry explains this further:

  http://www.php.net/features.commandline

This email is for informational purposes only, I do
not agree or disagree with your proposal as I wouldn't
touch this with a large stick but just wanted to clear
up any possible misconceptions :)

Regards,
Philip