I tend to agree that completely separating PHP from the modules does
cause a problem when it comes to support modules, etc. However, IMHO I
feel that as the numbers of modules written for PHP increases there
becomes a greater and greater need to separate modules from the core of
PHP.

When it comes to bug reporting/fixing, perhaps it's feasible to
completely separate bug reporting for each module from PHP itself? For
example, if each module is maintained completely separately from PHP
with it's own version # then there should also be a separate bug
reporting system for bugs found with that module.

Also, on that note, is there any hard and fast standard in place for
modules/extensions and the minnimum PHP version those modules support?
I.e. is there anything that is designed to prevent me from trying to
load a module in PHP 4.0 when it won't work with any version of PHP less
than 4.2? I mean more than it throwing an error at compile-time of
course.

When I look at PECL, I envision a system where modules are completely
separated from the PHP core. Each module and their maintainer(s)
(whomever they are) deal with their own bugs for that module, modules
have minnimum PHP core versions for which they work with, etc. We could
make this easier by providing a source-forge type of cookie-cutter bug
tracking system for each module, and perhaps by making the modules
themselves clearly independent of PHP. I'd like to see a system for
modules where what modules PHP uses is not defined at compile-time at
all by a ./configure statement. Rather, what modules are being used are
defined in some sort of configuration file (where the configuration
parameters for those modules are also located) and the modules are
loaded dynamically. I should be able to go download the GD module and
stick it in a subdirectory of /usr/local/lib/php and then edit my
modules.conf (or something) file:

<module name="gd">
   Allow_jpeg=true
   Allow_tiff=false
</module>

These are all just thoughts I have.. Feedback is more than welcome. I
think a system such as this would accomplish a number of (in my mind)
benfitial things:

1) Faster and easier installations of PHP
By removing all of those compile-time ./configure options it will make
PHP much easier to compile and install. Problems with a single module at
compile-time won't stop a user from getting PHP running, and if there is
a problem when the module is dynamically loaded it will be easier to
figure out what's going wrong.

2) More accurate and managable module maintaing
If modules are completely separated from PHP itself, then the status of
a particular module, the people who are maintaining it, news about the
modules, etc. will be easily found.

There are more, but it's late and I'm going to get to sleep :) Like I
said, feedback is more than welcome and I'd love to work with whomever
is interested to move PHP in this direction.

Cheers,

John