> files list.  It's handy and nice to normalize the path here, but it is
> really really expensive!

    ..only on systems with ultra slow syscall setup procedures
    (e.g. Solaris) or lack of directory cache.

> Due to our current implementation, if you have a lot of includes, you
> really should put all your include files in / and you will see some
> impressive improvements.

    Can you put some numbers on that?  I've done quite a lot of
    benchmarking and those calls never appeared on the radar.

> This is annoying, but I am not sure how to fix
> it.  A couple of things crossed my mind:

    5. Looking at Linux's syscall implementation and implementing
    the good ideas in FreeBSD.

    - Sascha