> That said, we could possibly have a fast mode and use fstat() to get some
> device information on the open file. I am worried about functionality
> though. I'm not sure it's worth breaking.

    The question here is whether it's worthwhile to optimize for
    the case where you have 30+ includes per page.  Is it that
    common?

    I think that sites where this actually matters should employ
    some form of preprocessing for their scripts where
    include/require directives get interpolated by the contents
    of the respective file.  This can be easily implemented
    either in about 50 LOC of PHP or sh/awk.  That won't work of
    course, if you rely heavily on dynamic includes where the
    filename is determined at run-time.

    - Sascha