On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 10:19  PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

Eliminating realpath for fully qualified paths make sense to me.

But... don't you Y! guys use php-a? Shouldn't this hide that overhead
completely from you by completely eliminating all the stats on a
require/include after the initial compilation? Or is this just a
It doesn't eliminate it at all, no. These checks are still done even on
accelerated includes in both zend cache and ioncube.
Weird. That was totally contrary to the way I remember it working. In trying to figure out why I remembered incorrectly, I realized the reason why you (in general) want to resolve the path to a canonical path is that you can seriously break include_once and require_once if you dont. Otherwise require_once wont correctly work if you do

<?
require_once("/home/george/foo.php");
require_once("/home/george/../george/foo.php");
?>

(of course you can put together a less contrived example).